- Portfolios implement the Sound Mind Investing strategies.
- Accounts proactively monitored by a team of Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA).
- Securities strategically allocated in accounts to improve tax efficiency.
- Tolerance band portfolio rebalancing across all of your accounts.
- Tax-loss harvesting utilized in taxable accounts.
- View your investment accounts, holdings, and financial plan all in one place.
- Monitor your performance by SMI strategy,* by account, and by household.
- Access TD Ameritrade statements*, Private Client reports, and tax documents*.
- Read quarterly commentary on market trends and SMI strategy analysis.*
- Track Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) progress (if applicable)*.
- A Focus on SMI Stewardship Principles.
- Continuity of your investment plan in event of Death, Disability, or Impairment.
- Privacy and Security policies protect your information.
- Our team initiates and monitors your account transfers*.
- TD Ameritrade Institutional account custody with Asset Protection Guarantee.
- Assessment based on your risk capacity and risk tolerance.
- Recommended portfolio based on the results of your assessment.
- Ability to customize portfolio to your specific preferences.
- Complimentary access to retirement and estate planning tool*.
- Work one-on-one with a dedicated Stewardship Advisor*.
- Free Trades.
- Straightforward Management Cost of 0.85% for Premier, 0.95% for Select, or 1.00% for Classic.
- Less expensive than industry average, including advisors and mutual funds.
- Utilizes institutional funds with lower costs when available.
- Reimbursement of most transfer fees charged by outgoing custodians.
|Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
|Dashboard Demo||Dashboard Demo|
|Dynamic Asset Allocation|
|SMI Advisory Management|
|Asset Protection Guarantee|
|Integrated Financial Dashboard|
|Complimentary Planning Tool|
|Assistance with Planning Tool|
|Access to Stewardship Advisors|
|Live Phone Support|
|Retirement Income Optimization|
|Transfer Fees Rebated|
|Annual Management Cost||1.00%||0.95%||0.85%|
|Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
CFA, CFP, CAIA
Stock Upgrading is a core "momentum" strategy based on the observable phenomenon that recent performance tends to persist. With this strategy we diversify your portfolio across five stock-fund "risk categories". We then buy the funds SMI objectively determines to be demonstrating the strongest current momentum, occasionally replacing lagging funds with those showing greater momentum. Historically, Stock Upgrading has generated better long-term returns than the overall market.
DAA is a core strategy that’s designed to help you share in some of a bull market’s gains, while minimizing (or even preventing) losses during bear markets. The strategy involves using exchange-traded funds to rotate among six asset classes, holding three at any one time. DAA is a defensive, low-volatility strategy that nonetheless has generated impressive back-tested results, demonstrating the power of “winning by not losing.”
This strategy invests in a single special-purpose stock fund that focuses on a specific sector like biotech or financial services, which SMI objectively determines to have especially high current momentum. It’s a high-risk/high volatility strategy. While its peaks and valleys have been higher and lower than all other SMI strategies, Sector Rotation has generated especially impressive long-term returns. The strategy is designed for use with no more than 25% of your stock allocation.
Through the use of index funds, we spread your allocation across the entire stock market (domestic and international). But don't be fooled by its name. Just-the-Basics is designed to match the performance of the market in a tax-efficient manner, so it is well-suited for use in taxable accounts.
This approach uses bonds to provide safety and stability. The strategy combines a bond index base with rotating bond funds that vary in duration, credit rating, and type. Similar to Stock Upgrading, this strategy regularly replaces lagging bond funds with those showing greater momentum.
If you lose cash or securities from your TD Ameritrade account due to unauthorized activity, TDA will reimburse you for the cash or shares of securities you lost.Read More
The SMI Private Client Mobile App allows Select and Premier clients to check balances and transactions, track performance, monitor financial plans, view statements and tax forms, and contact their advisors. A separate mobile app for Classic clients is currently in development.Google Play
SMI Private Client uses Income Solver software to provide guidance on retirement account withdrawal strategies, Social Security claiming strategies, and potential Roth IRA conversions.
Tax selling strategy utilized within taxable accounts during the market's inevitable ebbs and flows which is designed to help defer part of your capital gains and enable your taxable gains to compound longer.
Asset location is an investment strategy that manages multiple accounts with different tax profiles as a single portfolio, which may improve after-tax returns while maintaining your overall portfolio allocation.
For example, SMI may prioritize the following:
These trades will be exempted from TD Ameritrade’s commissions. However, SEC Fees will still apply, as will any short-term redemption fees, if applicable. Health Savings Accounts do not receive free trades since they are opened by third party administrators.
Fees are calculated monthly based on the average daily balance of the account(s) under SMI management, and withdrawn directly from your account(s). Each monthly fee represents that month's portion of the annual management cost.